Quick & Dirty Tools
If you're looking for quick solutions to common data management challenges, try these:
Click the Fullscreen icon to expand the video.
What You'll Find in This Guide
- Data Management Plans - Also referred to as DMP. In this tab, learn about the requirements for data management plans for various funding agencies, templates for DMPs, and find other resources to help you manage your research data.
- Organization and Format - Understand the various ways you can strategically organize and arrange data and information into a digestible, user friendly format, and learn why preservation is important for your data. Click to the subpage to learn about metadata, what it is, and why it is important to your research.
- Sharing and Storage - Discover why the experts believe you should share your data, the methods for sharing, publication practices, and the different ways and places you can store your data.
- Resources and Blogs & More have additional tools to help you stay informed of the changing data management landscape and utilize best practices.
What is Data Management?
Data management encompasses the processes surrounding collecting, organizing, describing, sharing, and preserving data.
Why is data management important?
The most effective and efficient data management practices begin at the research planning stage. With early planning for data management you can:
- Save time by having a plan in place for your data from the beginning of your project.
- Comply with legal and funder requirements.
- Increase the visibility and impact of your research by making your data searchable and citable.
- Support open access and foster new research by preserving your data and making it accessible to other researchers.
How do you manage data?
This guide provides resources for the sound management of your research data. Use the tabs to navigate through the pages of this guide.